A good pair of presentation percussion pistols
A good pair of presentation percussion pistols by E & W Bond, London, dated 1836. The browned twist 16 bore barrels are engraved 45, Cornhill, London, along the top flats, and the engraved breeches are inlaid with gold lines, and fitted with silver bead foresights. The walnut fullstocks are fitted with foliate engraved steel furniture and signed locks with safety bolts. The barrels have swivel ramrods, the stocks have chequered fishtail butts and are fitted with vacant oval German silver escutcheons. Both both stocks are inlaid with silver plates which are engraved “Given by the Officers to the best Marksman in the Arundel and Bramber Corps of Yeomanry Cavalry 2nd June 1836”
Barrel length 9” (23cms) Overall length 15” (38cms)
The Arundel and Bramber Yeomanry Cavalry was raised on on 18th May 1831. In that year they were painted in review by T.Henwood and a successful print of the same was made by C J Smith. The officers wore black beaver bell top shakos, blue jackets with red facings, white overalls, and rode greys. The troopers wore similar uniforms. The Corps was disbanded on 26th August 1848.