An unusual pair of .38” boxlock percussion belt pistols
An unusual pair of .38” boxlock percussion belt pistols by Alexander Thomson of Edinburgh c 1840. The heavy octagonal barrels are cut with 6 groove deep rifling, the bores are bright,and the mirror blued barrels are engraved Alexr Thomson Edinburghand struck with Birmingham proofmarks, frond tip engraved around the muzzles, and fitted with swivel ramrods. The rounded frames are foliate engraved, the gripstraps engraved with guilloche ornament, and fitted with dolphin hammers off set for sighting, sprung steel belt hooks, polished triggers, and two piece ivory grips. These pistols retain most original finish, and are preserved in crisp condition: they are based on contemporary American designs. They are contained in their blue felt lined mahogany case, the lid veneered with walnut and bearing a brass escutcheon. A previous owner’s card of Sir Bruce Chichester of Arlington Court is pasted inside the lid, and the case contains a shell embossed copper powder flask retaining most original finish, steel ball mould, ebony handled nipple key, ivory nipple box, pewter oil bottle and a few other items.
Barrel lengths 5½” (14cms) Overall lengths 9½” (24cms)
Alexander Thomson is recorded working in Edinburgh from 1820-1869. Arlington Court is a substantial country house near Barnstable, Devon, built for Col. John Chichester c.1820 and enlarged by Sir Bruce Chichester in 1865.