An unusual 16 bore percussion holster pistol
An unusual 16 bore percussion holster pistol by Witton & Daw c 1855-1860 built for the North of Europe Steam Navigation Company. The barrel is engraved "Witton & Daw, 57 Threadneedle St London" together with "North of Europe Steam Navigation Compy", and struck with London proofmarks. Fullstocked, the lockplate is engraved "Witton & Daw". Fitted with regulation brass mounts, and a swivel ramrod. Together with an officer’s fine gilt brass button of the same company, the back stamped “C & J Weldon, London, Warranted to stand the sea and air”. The lock and barrel are lightly pitted, the inscriptions and proofmarks are worn, and there is a small crack to the stock beneath the lock.
Blade length 9” (23cms) Overall length 15½” (39.5cms)
The North of Europe Steam Navigation Company was the creation of the railway magnate Sir Morton Peto, active in carrying emigrants from Norway and Sweden to the U.S.A. from 1853. The following 2 years they maintained 9 supply ships for the building of the Crimean Railway which is widely credited with altering the course of the Crimean war, but the company seems to have foundered in 1857. Witton and Daw, gunmakers are recorded at 57, Threadneedle Street from 1855, and were succeeded by George Henry Daw after 1860. Charles and Jeremiah Weldon are recorded as button-makers at 130, Cheapside, London between 1851 and 1882.