A good pair of 23 bore flintlock holster pistols
Firearms, Pistols, Scottish Weapons
A good pair of 23 bore flintlock holster pistols by Ross of Edinburgh c. 1815-1819. The octagonal barrels are engraved Edinburgh, and inlaid with gold breech lines, platinum vent linings and silver bead foresights. The nicely engraved lock plates are signed Ross, and are fitted with sliding safety bolts, rounded steps and roller bearing frizzen springs. The walnut fullstocks have finely chequered rounded grips. The engraved steel furniture includes pineapple finialled trigger guards. The wooden ramrods have brass tips, and one is fitted with a brass capped worm. The silver escutcheons are engraved with the owner’s crest and motto “Nec Timide Nec Temere”, and the fore ends have silver barrel wedge plates. Good colour and patina, crisp condition overall. Contained in their mahogany case with green felt lining, presumably built by the owner’s estate carpenter, fitted with flush folding brass handles, and containing copper powder flask, wooden handled turnscrew and cleaning rod with brass capped worm. Built for Sir William Forbes, 7th Baronet: see item No 428 for Sir William’s cavalry officer's swordsword, No. 307 for his smallsword, and item No 425 for a trooper’s sword of his Yeomanry Cavalry.
Barrel length 6.25" (16cms), overall length 11” (28cms)
Provenance: Fettercairn House, Kincardineshire, Scotland. The crest and motto are those of Forbes of Fettercairn and Pitsligo, and the pistols were built for Sir William Forbes (1773-1828) 7th Bart. Daniel Ross was in business at 64 Pleasance, Edinburgh from 1815 to 1819. The pistols are sold together with research notes.