A scarce 1803 pattern Grenadier Company infantry officer’s sword.
A scarce 1803 pattern Grenadier Company infantry officer’s sword. The regulation blade is blued and gilt, and etched with a crowned GR, Royal Arms (1801-1816), the maker Osborn’s, Warranted together with a standing Grenadier officer, martial trophies, grenade and assorted foliage, and deeply struck with the letters GG at the forte. The gilt copper hilt with lion’s head pommel and crowned GR in the guard surmounted by a grenade retains most of its original gilding. The black leather covered grip is bound with twisted copper wire. Contained in its leather scabbard with gilt copper mounts, the locket engraved with the owner’s initials (a suspension ring has been removed from the hanging band). See B. Robson “Swords of the British Army”1996 Pl.137
Blade length 30¼” (77cms) Overall length 35¼” (89.5cms)
Henry Osborn was established at 82 Pall Mall, London in 1803. Two years later he embarked on a series of partnerships.