A French percussion travelling pistol by Bonnand c 1780
A French percussion travelling pistol by Bonnand c 1780, converted from flintlock. The two stage turn off cannon barrel with nicely turned muzzle, engraved at the breech.The signed lock and steel furniture are all engraved, and the "bird's head" buttcap is particularly well executed. The stock is walnut, and is inlaid with some scrolling silver wire. The steel elements of this pistol have a pleasing dark shiny patina.
Barrel length 4¼" (11cms) Overall length 8¼" (21cms)
The Bonnand family were makers from St Etienne.